Monday, May 12, 2008

talking Parts ep10: Gibbs Cadiz

Gibbs Cadiz talks about theater criticism in the Philippines and the career he’s built around it. Plus, he fields questions in our first Listener Questions portion.

You can read his performing arts reviews every Monday in the Philippine Daily Inquirer. He is also Desk Editor for its Lifestyle Section. His blog, "GIBBS CADIZ", can be visited at gibbscadiz.blogspot.com.

Many thanks to those who submitted questions. I hope to continue doing Listener Questions for succeeding guests.

Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, or listen here:
talking Parts ep10

SCHEDULE CHANGE: talking Parts will, from now on, be a biweekly show; with new episodes every other week.

ERRATUM:
First, verbatim from Gibbs: "ERRATUM: I messed up my dates! Listening again to the podcast I realized with horror that I'd been saying “1993” or “1995” when I had meant a full decade later--2003 and 2005. Very sorry about that. The other inaccurate numbers--like Jenny saying in the intro that I've been reviewing theater for 15 years--all derived from that mistake. No, only for about five. Not her fault; all mine. Mea maxima culpa. Worse, it made me sound much, much older than my 37 years, aargh. This is what I get for hating Math in school. Sorry again for the absent-minded but huge mistake."

Now, from me: So, yes, Gibbs has been reviewing theater for about 5--not 15--years. Now, also, if I had a better memory, I should've remembered that in the early part of this decade, I was still encountering Cora Llamas at presscons. What's worse? Hating Math (Gibbs) or becoming senile (me)? So apologies for the oversight.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Jenny, really appreciate your blog! Thanks for doing this!

Anonymous said...

This is the BEST interview so far in jenie's blogspot. More than gibbs, what really drew we to this interview are the intelligent and well-structured interview crafted by j jamora. Right questions, interesting subject, interesting responses and subject. and very good discussion. Keep up the good work. more than anything, this interview touched on the crucial issue of expressing opinions. especially on theater. this entire interview showed how bright j jamora is. Saw jenie in a play, Basilia, very good actress. Here, it shows how bright she is. Am quite a fan and would like to see her again in future prods. Please interview Jose Estrella!. Very interesting personality.

Anonymous said...

i thought the question senders would remain anonymous! hahaha... amiel

Jenny Jamora said...

To anonymous-jose estrella-fan, much credit goes to those who submitted questions. They really spiced things up!

And to anonymous-amiel. Hahaha! I kept anonymous those who specifically told me to do so. Sorry about that! I should've clarified that with you. But then, you've attached your name to this podcast before so I thought it would be okay to do it again :)

DENNIS N. MARASIGAN said...

Jenny!

I am a late addition to your listeners, but from now I look forward to your next podcasts and take time to go through the previous ones. Congratulations for this outstanding trailblazing effort!

Dennis

munkey said...

Hmp. Kainis. I forgot to send my anonymous question. Sayang. Sayang!

Great job!